Wednesday, August 8, 2012

INTERVIEW: SEAN MILLER (Supernature, Viva Music, Mobilee)


We caught up with Sean for a short interview before his arrival to the Rainforest Territory. 

1) Tell us a little about your beginnings. What got you into electronic music?
I was a drummer from an early age. I began playing the drums when I was 8 years old. My father put me into the Royal Conservatory of Music. I was in and out of rock bands throughout junior high and high school. I was always into music. While at high school in the early 90’s I was first introduced to electronic music. I went to some rave parties and basically got hooked. From my earliest memory it was a Sasha and Digweed mix that got me locked in.

2) Describe how was the scene when you started to Dj.
It was all warehouse parties. When I started it was all a new experience for me. I didn’t know any Dj’s or even what the music was called never mind any artists. It was all very new. All I knew was that it was something I had never experienced before and I knew it was the future for dance music. I wanted to know everything I could about it. It was amazing back then and I knew this was my calling.





3) Which DJ's, Musicians and people inspired your musical taste?
Sasha and Digweed caught my ear in the beginning. After that was Danny Tenaglia. From there I sort of found my own way.

4) Which DJ's and producers catch your attention lately?
There is a lot of great music out there and there are a lot of new trends that come and go all of the time. You can definitely find some good music there, but I never follow trends cause they come and go so fast. My attention isn’t really caught for that long. I am sort of caught up in my own world of making music. I’m always in the studio writing so I am really focused on what I am doing. I shop on Beatport everyday, and my mailbox is flooded with promos to go through. There is a ton of great stuff out there, you just need to search for it.

5) Which musical projects have you been a part of that has marked a great inspiration in your life? Tell us a little bit of your Past, present and future.
I have been doing this for around 16 years and have had so many great opportunities. My residency at Boa in Toronto was a huge break for me in Canada. Following that, touring with Steve Lawler for 2 years in North America was a huge gig.  Then I started producing. I have had a good amount of quality releases on labels that I admire such as Mobilee, Area Remote, Saved, Saw, Supernature, Viva ect. Last year I had my first commercial success with my remix of Nina Simone’s Sinnnerman, It hit number 1 on Beatport’s overall top 100, which was amazing. I have been really fortunate so far. In my eyes, I have many things I still need to achieve so it keeps me really motivated. I love what I do and I have a lot of great things to share with dance music.

6) How would you describe your sound? Tell us how it has evolved.
It has always been pretty refined but always revolves around the groove and bass. It’s organic and groovy with a flare. Housey for sure, but it always has been. It is always getting more and more refined.

7) Which equipment do you use for producing music? Which one is your favorite?
I use a combination of Protools and Ableton right now.

8) In addition to electronic music, what other music genres interest you?
I love everything 80’s, 90’s, jazz, chill, Latin music, west cost hip hop, anything with soul.

9) What party have you enjoyed the most playing? Why?
There have been so many, it’s hard to say!  Even though I have played all over the world, I have really enjoyed playing at the BPM Festival in Playa del Carmen.  I have been playing it since the beginning and it has been awesome to watch how much it grows each year.

10) What do you think of digital downloading and how it has made it more accessible to people to listen to new music?
I don’t think we can stop it. We just need to focus on selling tickets

11) What advice would you give to people who are beginning their careers as DJ's?
Be real and stay positive. Be persistent but keep it cool.
It’s a tough road but if you really believe in yourself you can make it happen, as with anything in life.

12) What is your perception on the Latin American EDM scene and artists?
It is an amazing culture, the people the food, the vibe. You are very lucky people!

You know how to enjoy life. Please teach western civilization something!

No comments:

Post a Comment